Monday, September 12, 2011

The Well-Intentioned but Stupid Idealists

I agree with Ann Althouse on this little article: Organizers of school garden in Madison, Wisconsin want more attention!

I don't really have a problem with these school gardens. I agree with the call to get kids, in general, outside of the techno-bubble they live in these days. But I would stress that they need to make it about, you know, school. Not just building a garden for the sake of it. Make it fit the curriculum.
"Teachers don't need to go out and dig in the garden; they can simply hold math class among the tomatoes to get students thinking about the environment and being outside, he said."
Aaaaaaaaand that's where the article lost me. What the hell does the garden have to do with math?! Anything? It sounds more like the creators of the gardens don't know how to fit it into the curriculum, and are upset That No One Appreciates The Work They Have Done. And they must be forced to like it. I'm sorry, but just because something's feel-good doesn't mean it belongs in school. Otherwise, everyone would have a adorable puppy to hold, just because.

Althouse is right when she says:
"[The] old outdoor class. Does that ever work? I say teach in the classroom and then give the kids some time to go out and play, freely. Not work in the sun.
I'm not against gardens, by the way. I love gardens. And I think a school garden could be a great learning experience. I just have a problem with underdeveloped feel-good projects and compulsory menial work"
Well said, Professor Althouse. Well said. Forcing the kids to work on the gardens without a well thought out educational curriculum is essentially slave labor, and really, cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment